Friday, May 27, 2011

Ok, Now I'm Showing Off...

So I considered just eating one of the funfetti birthday cupcakes I made myself last night for breakfast this morning. But then I thought about you and the blog, and I felt guilty. So I dug through the fridge for something edible and breakfasty. I wanted to show off, and make something that wasn't a crepe. Then, I thought about going out to breakfast and cheating you out of a Chrissy original again. Then, I considered plain ole eggs and toast. But we're not there yet. I've got to impress you with my breakfast creations. So I took out some eggs...and decided on a frittata...but what to make?

After a little mixing and pouring and baking, 30 minutes later, I had a six cheese pizza frittata. Using all egg whites(yeah, I wasted the yolk, but sometimes a girl has to hold off some of the cholesterol, ok?), a little bit of milk, parmesan and romano shaker cheese, and pizza seasonings(marjoram, oregano, basil, onion, and garlic), I put this tasty baked omelet in the oven for 20 minutes. Then I took it out, topped it with marinara and 4 cheese shredded mix (asiago, mozzarella, provolone, and cheddar), broiled for 2 minutes, garnished it with a basil chiffonade, and voile! breakfast of champions!



Let me take a moment to obsess about my mini herb garden--the fresh rosemary and basil are merely the start of my fantastic collection of herbs that I intend to care for. For about $3 at Walmart, you can get a decently sized plant that will last you WAY longer than the pre-packaged fresh herbs at Trader Joe's. Also, not that I don't adore Trader Joe's (They have a great gruyere cheese and there's always free samples), but don't buy your basil plant from them. Every single one I've had got this basil disease and died at a certain height.

So, overall, a delicious breakfast, and healthy too. But let's be honest here. I ate the cupcake, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did YOU have for breakfast today?