Wednesday, May 25, 2011

1 Day In and I've Already Cheated.

I went out to breakfast this morning. I know, right? But come on, no one's perfect! I love it when I get a call from T to go out for breakfast. We always have an enjoyable (and leisurely) morning/afternoon. Today wasn't any different. Here are my tips for dining out at breakfast:

~Never order something you can easily make for yourself (really, what's the point?)
~ Be adventurous; try not to order the same thing twice.
~Learn from your breakfast: how would you make it (fill in the blank with tastier, healthier, better, different, etc.)

Egg Harbor Cafe rolled out a new menu (apparently they do this seasonally-SCORE!) I ordered the Fried Green Tomato Benedict with cheesy grits and harbor potatoes. The Benny had bacon, roasted red pepper, fried green tomatoes, poached eggs and cheese on an English muffin. It made me think of New Orleans in more ways than one.

NOLA is my second favorite city in the world--Chicago, an obvious first. When I was last down there about a year ago, I had the most amazing Benedict I've ever consumed: 2 crawfish cakes topped with a poached egg and crawfish etoufee, served with a gigantic biscuit and New Orleans style breakfast potatoes. I could not have been happier! Yep, even took a picture of it:


The other NOLA thought that came to my head was the fried green tomato. It is REALLY hard to find a good fried green tomato in suburbia. I was certainly impressed with this one. A little spicy, and cooked to perfection--how could I not be?  It reminded me of the fried green tomato Po' Boy from some tiny dive restaurant in the French Quarter. Yum. 

Ohh that's another tip:

~When you are on vacation, drink the proverbial water, and dine out at a place you've never heard of, preferably one that you can walk into with jeans and a tee-shirt. Cheeseburger in Paradise is the same everywhere you go.

I leave you with this one question: what did you have for breakfast?

1 comment:

  1. I had squat, nada, nuttin...unlike you I am not a big breakfast food person...if I do have to slop/choke something down in them a.m. hours its usually oatmeal or something simple like a banana...but you enjoy your breakfasty excursions

    ReplyDelete

What did YOU have for breakfast today?